Friday 25 January 2013

Are all teenagers rebellious criminals?

What springs to mind when you think of teenagers?
Good, sensible,responsible contributors to society? Or useless,waste of space,crime committing thugs? I found a BBC debate website and this was the exact topic being highlighted. One person had described how they are a tall teenager with no criminal past or record and had simply walked on to a tram sat next to a lady who had then instantly edged away from the person on her seat. Me being a teenager myself can safely say that not all teenagers are like they are portrayed to be mainly in the 'lovely' I say sarcastically media. There are sensible well behaved teens out there however from personal experience all I see being expressed in the media is the next stabbing of a teenager of whom in the end the guilty one being sent down for life ended up being a 15 year old claiming to have been brought up in a rough environment condoning the evil senseless crime he committed.

Image is key also. I know that if I was on a quiet street and I saw a group of hoodies standing there, my subconscious would make me cross over to avoid any possible muggings or worse violence. These teens may be in fact harmless and just hanging out as teens do but it's our instant reaction and the fact that we see an image that matches the stereotype and we immediately cross over like we're prey escaping the carnivores. I am not for one second saying that we should trust every teen and drop that stereotype all together because let's face it this image does exist and is real in society today, the times that my nan would speak about of which you could leave your front door keys in your door and nip a few doors down to a neighbours are well and truly over! A high percentage of teens do contribute to overall crime rates in the UK however 2009/10 figures show that at least triple the amount of males committed offences to females a lot of it mainly being robberies and burglaries.

Do you feel teenagers are under this stereotype? And more importantly do you feel victimised by teenagers?

No comments:

Post a Comment