Monday 13 May 2013

My day at ITV

Earlier this year myself and my mum had ITV news come to our house to interview us regarding the bedroom tax. This is something very close to our hearts as we received a letter telling is that we would have to pay for my brothers room starting in April this year. We have been fighting this as we felt this was so unfair, we had turned my brothers room into a peaceful place for myself and my mum to sit and gather our thoughts. It's helped me so much having his room to go to, to have to to pay for it now really not only makes me feel hurt but also reminds me that my brother really isn't hear anymore and that breaks my heart even more. More importantly we don't have all the funds needed to pay for the bedroom tax. My mum works really hard for next to nothing. Sometimes I feel as if we are one in a million or 100,000 for all the wrong reasons we weren't one in 100,000 to win to the lottery, my brother was one in 100,000 to lose my brother to one of the rarest forms of encephalitis.

Of course having ITV at my house was a dream come true for me as I dream of news reading or corresponding for ITV so I took my chances and ended up being aloud to go to ITV for a tour around and to watch the news go live from the gallery. It was so kind of the team to let myself and my mum go and look around and I was hugely grateful. It's one of the best things that's ever happened to me and it made me want to work harder to get to my dream.

The day started with meeting the team in the news room, I met one of my idols Charlene White. We sat in the newsroom and we also met Chloe, the woman my mum had been in contact with in order for us to get our story out there and she was lovely. In fact everyone was lovely as so welcoming. Toby who came to our house to interview us, was also so lovely and kind, both Chloe and Toby gave me am insight in to how they got into their careers and it really helped me.

Sitting in the newsroom I literally watched name after name walk past. I felt like I had to pinch myself at times. The programme editor took us down to the set, I felt ecstatic. Later in we were taken to the gallery to watch the news go live. Watching everything from behind the scenes was amazing. I got to see how it all came together and just how much went into the programme. Charlene white waste newscaster that day and she was amazing. After the programme we waited outside the studio for Charlene to come out and then we got into a lift with her back to the newsroom. I couldn't help but keep smiling thinking to myself(I am in a lift with Charlene White!!) I really didn't want to leave. I have never felt so excited in a long long time and it was lovely to fell like this again. When we got back to the newsroom we attended a briefing with all the team. They all reviewed how the programme went and then myself and my mum were asked, I felt so nervous because it was in front of everyone. A lot of reporters and important people again I wanted to be pinched.

I want to say thank you to Alex and Ken because it really was a dream come true and I couldn't have met nicer people. It's helped me realise that I can reach my dream and I will. Today I want to tell you and everyone, that you shouldn't let anything defeat you, when bad things happen you can bury your head in the sand or you can thrive and become a strong person in time and never let anyone tell you that can reach your dream it just depends how hard your willing to work for it.xx

No comments:

Post a Comment